Tuesday, April 27, 2010

2010 Santa Fe Indian Market

Santa Fe's biggest yearly event will be held on the Plaza August 21 and 22 of this year. The Santa Fe Indian Market is recognized as the world's most prestigous Indian arts event; it has been an annual event since 1922. Approximately 1200 Native American from 100 different tribes participate. The event is centered on the Plaza but the approximately 600 booths spill out on the side streets in all directions available for expansion. It is a great place to meet many of the famous artists. You will see the best in jewelry, kachina, rugs, baskets, and more.

If you plan to go better reserve a room now. The town sells out. I think the next best place for lodging is in Bernalillo about 35 miles south. Albuquerque is located another 10 miles down the road from Bernalillo.

I came home Sunday and began my preparation for this year's market by sketching the bear head. Sandy added the bear paw bolo. I plan to wear my white Stetson and the T-shirt as shown. The back says, "Hi, I am Wilford." If you see me there, please introduce yourself.