Thursday, January 3, 2008

In Search of Don Dewa - Zuni Master

I am constantly reviewing the work of area artists in an ongoing effort to expand our offerings. Living as a jewelry dealer in Gallup is like swimming in a sea of treasure, unbelievable really. Santa Fe is a nice upscale secondary market, but any serious Native American jewelry connoisseur should visit Gallup at least once in his or her lifetime.

I needed a only brief, but freezing cold swim in order to fulfill my quest for Don Dewa treasure. The sad part is that I missed the man himself by a mere 10 minutes. I had bought a couple of his exquisite pieces at one of my preferred wholesaler dealers before moving next door where I was told Don had just left. Oh, what misfortune once again! Don is particularly well know for his trademark spinning sunface jewelry. I've been told that he does not like making buckles. They are difficult to find and the demand is high so I was very pleased to get my hands on the superb buckle shown above. Note his most excellent provenance stamp.