Thursday, March 8, 2012

Jewelry and Pottery--Staples of Pueblo Art


On a Sia Housetop (1925)
Northwestern University Library, Edward S. Curtis's
'The North American Indian': the Photographic Images, 2001
Since  permanently relocating inside New Mexico from Gallup to the town of Bernalillo, I have found myself close to many Pueblos all rich in culture.   Today, Sandy and I visited the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center in Albuquerque for their ongoing special centennial celebration entitled, 100 Years of State and Federal Policy--The Impact on Pueblo Nations.

When contrasted with the Zuni, Pueblo, and Hopi nations to my west, I find very little metal-based jewelry being produced in the nearby pueblos; however, their beautiful pottery creations are abundant. So, I have decided to feature more pottery here which will certainly inspire me to meet more pueblo artisans.  

Southwest Native American art has for centuries been expressed through fiber, clay, stone, and for the past sesquicentennial era, silver. I chose two pictures to feature an historical glimpse at two of our still thriving nearby Rio Grande Pueblo cultures. Note the pottery, jewelry, and beautiful attire in these great photographs.
Man and Woman of Laguna Pueblo (1885)
Western History/Genealogy Department, Denver Public Library