Friday, November 9, 2007

Just Missed Meeting the Coin Man-James McCabe


It's been about 2 weeks since I made rounds at one of my favorite suppliers, so on the way to Chelles restaurant tonight, the best place for fine dining in Gallup, we stopped in. On entered the back room, I nodded and said hello to a middle age Navajo man talking to the owner, Sammy. Soon Sammy stepped back and said, "Oh rats, that was James McCabe and I didn't introduce you." We both trotted out of the store hoping to catch him in the parking lot but we were too late. There are very few silversmith in the Gallup region that work in old coins and of them James is without a single doubt the best. I ended up buying some of his work including a very nice concho belt. About 2 or 3 months I was concerned that we would not be seeing any more of James' work on the market; but today, I understand he is back with us and ready to go.