Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Anticipating Indian Market

Every August I attend the Gallup Intertribal Ceremony jewelry exhibition in search of emerging local artists and to get a look at the winning show pieces which seem to go to the same established old masters year after year. Although definitely worth my time, the Gallup show pales in comparison to the Annual Santa Fe Indian Market where the hallmark is quality and jewelry treasures seem endless. Santa Fe Indian Market, the largest annual event in Santa Fe, has been held each August for the past 80 years. In year 1922 first prize was worth $5; this year it's worth $12,000. 1,200 artists from about 100 tribes converge in the Plaza to who show their work in over 600 booths. The outdoor event attracts an estimated 100,000 visitors to Santa Fe from all over the world. It's a great opportunity to buy directly from the artists. For retail dealers like myself, it's primarily a time to see new work and meet artists, many of them otherwise elusive. My list is growing. Near the top is JD Coriz from the nearby Santo Domingo Reservation. I've begun purchasing some of his masterwork through one of the Albuquerque wholesalers, but I have yet to meet the man. I will be taking my computer and camera equipment so I hope to be adding a few blog entries at this year's showing. Pictured here is one of JD Coriz's masterworks. Cost about $2400.